Continuing Competency Requirement
A. What Is New
1. Renewal of licenses will occur annually.
2. The next renewal deadline is June 30, 2012.
3. 12 contact hours must be earned between January 1 and December 31, 2011 in order to renew by June 30, 2012.
B. Summary: Continuing Competency Requirements to Renew Licenses Expiring June 30, 2012.
The Board of Occupational Therapy Practice has established regulations for continued competency. When an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant applies for the renewal of a license, that licensee shall be required to certify to the Board the licensee's involvement in professional education activities updating competency in occupational therapy theory and practice and to provide documentation to that effect upon the Board's request.
The objectives of continuing competency are:
(1) Maintenance of professional competency or improvement of professional competency, or both; and;
(2) Assurance of completion of continuing education requirements for:
- Reactivation; and
3. Unit Requirements
(1) "Contact hour" means 1 hour spent in a continuing competency activity that meets the requirements of the Board and is approved as set forth in this chapter.
(2) "Contact hour" does not include orientations, introductions, refreshment breaks, reception, other social gatherings, and meals which do not include an acceptable educational activity.
B. Contact Hours Required for License Renewal:
|More than 1 Year
||prior to July 1
The 12 contact hours shall consist of a minimum of 8 contact hours related to occupational therapy principles and procedures and a maximum of 4 contact hours through occupational therapy role-related activities. Occupational therapy principles and procedures, as well as occupational therapy role-related activities, are defined in COMAR 10.46.04.02.
4. Time Frame
The period for completing continuing competency requirements extends from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011. The licensee may not carry over contact hours from one continuing competency time frame to another without written consent from the Board.
5. Extension Requests
Before the deadline to complete continuing competency, for example, December 31, 2011, a licensee may request an extension to the specified time frame for completing continuing competency requirement by submitting:
(a) A letter of request;
(b) Documentation substantiating the basis of the request, i.e., medical documentation; and
(c) A plan for completing the requirement.
The Board has sole discretion in granting/denying extension requests. A license will not be renewed unless the continuing education requirement has been met. Licensees who fail to meet this requirement, may be eligible for reinstatement.
6. Licensee Attestation
A license will not be renewed unless the continuing competency requirement has been met, and the licensee has signed a statement of attestation.
7. Additional Information
Refer to COMAR 10.46.04 for complete regulations. A statute and regulations manual is distributed to each licensee at the time of original application.